When setting up a Shopify store you have to enter the store name. There are practically two elements that can be referred to as the store names. The first one is the store name which is visible to your customers on the frontend. Second is the domain name which by default ends with “myshopify.com”. This guide will walk you through changing both of them.
How to Change Store Name
Changing the store name which is visible to your customers is really easy and can be done from your store admin. In order to change your Shopify store name simply follow the steps below.
- Go to your store admin > Settings > General (i.e. https://your-store.myshopify.com/admin/settings/general)
- In the section “Store details” update the “Store name” field
- Click on the “Save” button and that’s it, your store is updated immediately
How to Change Store Domain Name (URL)
If you would like to change your store domain name (i.e. your-store.myshopify.com) that’s unfortunately not that simple and requires some extra steps including setting up a new account.
First, you need to define what exactly you would like to change. Is it the store URL that is visible to your customers? Then you actually don’t need to change the “myshopify.com” name but only add a new domain to your store and use it as primary. You can either use an existing one which you already own or buy a new one.
To do so simply follow the steps below.
- Go to your store admin > Online Store > Domains (i.e. https://your-store.myshopify.com/admin/settings/domains)
- If you don’t have a domain yet click on “Buy new domain” to get one. Shopify costs are $14 per year for the .com domain which is a good price (GoDaddy is $13 for the first year). It doesn’t make sense to get the domain elsewhere due to the hassle of transferring/connecting it to your store
- Once you go through the purchase process you should see the new domain in the domain list. Click on the “Change primary domain” link and select the new domain
- Click on “Save” and that’s it. Your store URL should be now the URL address of the new domain. Please note the original “myshopify.com” will still work and redirect all traffic to the new domain
If you would like to connect or transfer an existing domain you need to update its A record to point to Shopify’s IP address 184.108.40.206. And change the www CNAME to shops.myshopify.com. Once done click on the “Verify connection” button to make sure all is ready.
After the domain is connected or transferred to your account continue from step 3 above.
How to Change myshopify.com Name (URL)
The default “myshopify.com” domain can’t be unfortunately changed. But if you add a custom domain as described above, your customers will actually never see it.
If for some reason you really need to change it, the only way is to set up a new store and use the new name. You can also duplicate the existing store to the new one using a native way or third-party app like Rewind Copy.